Monday, December 28, 2009

Birding

I had made no plans this weekend to go birding, been too lazy lately to muster the effort to wake up early morning and go alone to the frequent haunts of yester days. When however my sister too eager to catch up the wild state of Mysore, I grudgingly accompanied her. I am glad I did. The majestic Pelicans are home!
I guess, if as decided, we would have been through the main gates of Lingabudhi kere we would have totally missed their presence, since its quite difficult to go around where they were currently roosting. Must say the luck was in our sides, the auto took the way around the lake, no doubt to increase the fare, when I caught sight of the swelled lake and its inhabitants. My eyes almost popped out with excitement recognizing the Pelicans. We spent a good part of our morning going around observing them. The majestic glide of the Pelicans in the air without beating a wing like a silent aircraft.
What most interested me was their landing sequence, never having seen one in real it was just like watching NGC or something. Besides the treat we also spotted Baer's Pochard , Pintails and grassbird ( a personal discovery of mine ;) ) the usual Koot, spot billed duck, black winged stilts, etc.,

No comments: