Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Expressionism

" I dream of painting and then I paint my dream. "
                      - Vincent Van Gogh

Painting has been one of the ways I feel I am able to express myself completely. Even as a kid I disliked paintings with clean lines and dull colours, The exaggerated brilliant colours in even more exaggerated lines thrilled me to no end. I like to portray myself through my paintings. Lately my paintings tend to be focused either on nature or on rock stars!


the above two have been painted using the Nat Geo magazine pictures as references

  
Jim Morrison

Violent sea

 
Giraffes in African Savannah

Gazing at vincent Van Gogh's paintings I was lost in admiration on how beautifully the colours came out alive, expressed so much more than the actual scene could convey. It conveyed the emotions that swirled in him. And that, is what I think must a painting must achieve, be able to express a part of the idea that the painter is. I have nothiing against realistic paintings, but I am inlined more towards Expressionist art.

Starry night is one of my favourites, has always been like a heady drink, Just my picture of a glorious star-filled night from a hill-top. Somehow I am reminded of the particular part of Pinocchio story when the fox and the lame cat coaxes Pinocchio to part with his golden coins and plant them in the Field of Miracles, outside the city of Catchfools so that it will grow into a tree with a thousand gold coins!

Starry night - VVG

Below are a few of the choicest painting I have liked by various artists. the list is no where complete, it keeps getting bigger every passing day!

* Paris cafe by VVG
*A self potrait by Frida Kahlso
* Prisoners by VVG
* the last painting made by VVG before he committed suicide
* The scream and Madonna by Munch