Monday, February 15, 2010

Led Zeppelin Mania

When the four forces of rock shall meet - vocals, guitars lead and bass and drums together with the ancient knowledge of music passed down, a super group shall band in called Led Zeppelin!

There were simply so many groups contending to be super groups on the 60's and 70's heat-of-Rock era experimenting experimenting..

Led Zeppelin is one such band that came out of this trying age. So much of flavour, so much of energy and so much more. Band defying the laws of genrerism.


Many remember Led Zep for their audacious songs, specially those that contain staring-at-your-face sexual references like trampled underfoot, custard pie, Black Dog etc., and many more for the ones that refer to love

What I mostly got hooked on to (though must admit I loved the above ones a lot too :P)  are songs like Stairway to heaven, Carouselambra, Kashmir, Immigrant song, That's the way, Down by the seaside, The song remains the same and oh-and-so-many. I like them coz, these songs reflect my ideas of love and beauty. All these songs talk in one way or the other about the beauty of nature and celebrating the wonders of life . like take 'Down by the seaside'  for example,


 "Sing loud for the sunshine
Pray hard for the rain
And show your love for Lady Nature
And she will come back again"

Its pretty much clear that these bunch of people were the kind of people who appreciated the wonders of nature without being prejudiced by religious conformity. They saw things in their light and knew that it ought to be so without the intervention of man or god. I feel Led Zep are like those bunch of Druids or Hippies singing and dancing, in the pale evening light around the fire, about the glory of nature and love.


"There's a feeling I get
When I look to the west,
And my spirit is crying for leaving.
In my thoughts I have seen
Rings of smoke through the trees,
And the voices of those who stand looking"

These songs transport me to a world where man knew the secrets of nature, where he ran with the wild horses, whispering with the wind, the times when Druids held their prayers in Stonehenge and the Aryans wrote the Vedas glorifying the forces of nature as Gods.. Mithuna, Varuna , Indra.. Times, when we did not need wild superstitions, where we did not lay down out-right lies as reasons to keep people within a society, Where discipline and restrictions were unknown coz people knew what they were up to and not were led as sheep to the slaughter house (phew! pardon me for the out burst)


Well, all in all Led Zep is like a carnival, a Santa Claus bag if u will, rummage around and pull out anything you will be satisfied with what you found.  I am always surprised with the wide range of emotions these guys have covered.

Apart from the philosophy and the brilliant lyrics by all members there is simply no denying the masterful work by the band members on the music. Johnny Page is regarded simply as the Guitar Guru by all , John Paul is a brilliant bass player truly a genius, Bonham whoa! what a drummer!!! my god! listen to Bonzo's Montreux to get a taste of that electricity flowing through him.. My was head was totally buzzing for at least a hour! He is my guru, my inspiration! and umm.. ah.. Robert Plant, his voice has just the sort of appeal that can put you to dreaming open eyes and man, he sways! Singing his songs with his golden locks flying everywhere .. :D OK I'll stop here :D.

If you are looking out for bio and other Led related stuff check out this site http://ledzeppelin.alexreisner.com


I have tried too many times but I am just unable to pick a favourite .. they all are so crazily good. Every song I listen, goes to the top list only to be replaced by the next one playing!!

As I always said.. Boogie with Led Zeppelin people!!

No comments: