Friday, February 5, 2010

Dave Matthews Band

 


Dave Matthews Band is the most blues band to me, although i knew The Doors and Keane long before, I never put them in the genre blues thanks to my ignorance of rock knowledge. Dave Matthews is "most blues" because I was introduced to this band as a blues band. I had such a antagonism with blues.. Thought them all to be very dull and boring that when I heard "Crash in to me" I left all my prejudices behind. Now I am so very devoted to this band lying down my eternal servitude :D to them. Just love the voice of Dave the way he croons 'crash into me...'  in the live version.. the way the saxophone (LeRoi Moore) and the drums(Carter Beauford ) and all the various sounds they innovate blending in harmoniously.   Its like Dave's guitar and Stefans's bass and Moore's Saxophone racing against each other ahead of what your musical ears can catch and then the sudden divination hits you and you go reeling back with perfect ecstasy. They are good, no, that's not the word geniuses, yeah!.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is not blues

Aparna K said...

Well.. like I said I was introduced to them as Blues band.. Although I for one don't go with categorizing bands.. well a bit of internet has given me a lot many choices to fit in DMB!.. Some say - rock/jam band, blue grass jazz, Blues Rock, Alternative.. But since the majority go with fitting them into Jam Band or rather a sub genre of jam Band.. I take back my original line of fitting them to Blues..

Anonymous said...

Categorizing may not be your idea. But when you say that a band plays say the blues you can associate with them the kind of emotions that they can conjure, instruments that dominate and several others of the like. For example: Blues is associated with a 12 bar chord progression that is usually associated with chromaticity of the music played. Heavy Metal - tritone. Anyway for example Led Zeppelin that you love so much plays basically the blues. But they use distortion and pedal as an added effect. Anyway you need to have played an instrument and played some style of music to categorize them. Anyway cheers!!!

Anonymous said...

Sorry let me introduce you some real blues try Albert King's Born Under A Bad Sign For Starters. You can find it on youtube.