Tuesday, May 11, 2010

How late is too late?


Up starts with a innocent dreams and expectations of a little girl Ellie and a boy Carl, the dream to reach Paradise Fall following the footsteps of Muntz whose adventures they have been religiously following. The movie speeds through until Ellie's death but all along the way showing how happily they lived together and their unsuccessful attempt at saving money to go to South America. I wish they would have prolonged on their childhood. Simply loved the way Ellie talked and the way her hair flares up as she pulls out the cap and the way all those helium filled balloons suddenly erupt out of the chimney!

Frankly speaking I was a bit disappointed with the second half of the movie. And I did not really understand the idea of the movie. Only as I talked to a friend of mine did I realize something that I obviously missed.

As kids and as teenagers and then as adults without family responsibility we all cherish our dreams and ambitions and look at them with misty eyes "Stuff I'm going to do" As time goes by and you enter the family life, time moves swiftly by, you are enveloped by the so-called practical stuff, work, make money, spend and then work more to make more money and spend some more, an endless cycle of wants and desires and commitments that fails to satisfy you. Its like a drink that leaves you thirsty.

So, where are all those dreams that would dreamt about? As drawings on the wall, as entries in your journal. I stand now where the two worlds are to collide. I believe in taking chances, to leap that extra length that would mean a fatal fall or the beginning of a new adventure.

All I know is that we are prejudiced and narrowed down by what people say is right and wrong for us. Listen to your heart. What after all is the meaning of life? What are we here for. I'll be damned if I know. Instead of letting someone else decide for me I will make them spontaneously, the depression of a failure and the exuberance of a triumph will be mine. Why wait?